Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Four-Minute Cracker

Last night I awoke with tummy growlings. I needed something to stifle them. I had consumed only 1390 calories during the day. On the headboard/bookcase I keep a package of crackers that I open when I get these growlings. I don't want to eat the crackers suddenly. Frankly, I could put a cracker in my mouth and give it a couple of gnashes, destroying it in seconds and swallowing it. I would barely taste it AND it would not give me much satisfaction. I would probably dig a handful out of the package and might eat 15-20 crackers that way before I'd no longer feel the hunger pangs. 

I awake hungry during the night about three times a week. Rather than wolf down the crackers, I eat one tiny bit at a time. I practice "mindful eating" (after the book by the same name, authored by Jan Chozen Bays, MD) while I eat the cracker. With each bite, 
  • I control my impulse to quickly swallow it; 
  • I feel the crunch;
  • I roll the cracker between my tongue and my upper palate while thinking of the texture;
  • I taste the saltiness;
  • I feel the crunchy texture slowly moistening and softening;
  • I think about the reason I am eating the cracker;
  • I feel the hunger slowly subsiding with each bit of cracker;
  • I think about the process of making a cracker (and about the recipe for crackers that I found on a website--maybe I'll begin making  my own herbed crackers when I finish my current box of crackers);
  • I think about the people who made the cracker;
  • I think about the little bit of nutrition I get with each bite;
  • I wonder about the fat and sugar that may be in the cracker, and I remind myself to check the box next day;
  • I think about why I am eating in bed at 3 AM; and
  • I wonder how many tiny bites I'll take before the cracker is finished.
During this process, little Betsey, my son's 7-pound adult Manx cat, is posted at my right shoulder, staring at my eyes quietly. She's asking for a piece of cracker. She's a silly little thing. I'll give her the next tiny bit and she'll eat it much more quickly than I ate mine. She does not practice mindful eating.

By the time we finish just one cracker, four minutes have elapsed. I wait a moment, then begin my next four-minute cracker. I may challenge myself, trying for a five-minute cracker, but I fail. By the time I am finished, I've eaten 2 1/2 crackers and Betsey has eaten 1/2 cracker. I remind myself to count the calories in 2 1/2 crackers in my next calorie total. I hope that the cat-lovers of the world will not berate me for giving a cat crackers.
I practice mindful eating during my meals too, but not to this extent. If I did so, meals would all go cold after the first half-hour of such mindfulness. By the time I would finish one meal, it would be time for the next.

2 comments:

  1. This is an area I need to work on. I think my first new rule now is that I cannot eat in the car. I'll work up to not eating while reading and then watching television. It is good to savor the food and that is part of the fulfillment. Thank you for this blog - I'm guessing your followers will hopefully lose weight with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Queen Jester,

    That's what I'm hoping for. Somehow, it's easier not to suffer alone. Did I say suffer? I meant to say enjoy the weight loss.

    Yesterday Betsey asked me for a Cheese Nip. I gave her a bit and she decided she did not like it. Good. I get them for myself.

    But really, I should not be eating in bed. I need to sweep crumbs off in the morning.

    ReplyDelete