Friday, May 6, 2011

The Middle Way

Alfalfa sprouts. Grown in five days on my kitchen counter. Great tasting on sandwiches or in salads, and low in calories but high in nutrition.

The Buddha was clearly on the right track, wasn’t he? My knowledge of Buddhism has been gleaned from news articles (e.g., how Patrick Duffy and his family handled the tragedy of his parents’ death; Richard Gere’s devotion, etc.), public television (about the Buddha’s life), the Internet, a couple of Hollywoodized movies (not really the place to learn much from), and various articles I’ve read over the years, so I cannot speak knowledgeably about the great one and his philosophy. But I do know a little bit about the Middle Way, and to me, this diet I’ve invented seems to follow a middle path in several ways. It’s not only about “The Average Advantage” that I wrote about on April 24; it’s also about not going overboard. It’s about not eliminating any particular food or becoming an ascetic-like person. It’s about not having food on your mind day and night, or jumping into an exercise program that will break you, or jumping on the scale several times a day to see if you’ve lost a few ounces. It’s about not becoming highly emotional or self-defeating while curbing your appetite. I really do think it’s about being cool. I feel cool.

Here’s the recipe I promised. I do love to cook.

Turnip Greens and Carrot Soup

1 T olive oil                                                             120 calories
2 sauteed onions                                                      70
2 stalks celery                                                          20
1 # chopped turnip greens                                       125
2 # baby carrots (don’t bother cutting them)             373
1 15 oz. can red kidney beans                                  390
1 large can whole tomatoes                                     325
vegetarian bouillon (comes like a sauce in a jar)         80
garlic                                                                       miniscule
marjoram (don’t skip this—it’s like magic!)                miniscule
hot sauce to taste                                                   miniscule
lots of water                                                           nada

Makes appx. 25 cups of hearty, filling, tasty soup. Total calories are 1498.

Today my average calorie consumption is 1549. I have lost 22 pounds. My cancer surgeon asked me how I did it. I told her to read this blog. I feel good. And cool.

1 comment:

  1. I've never used marjoram. Is it a hot and spicy spice? I love spicy food so this looks good to me. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete